Muscovy Duck

Muscovy Duck
Roosting on the gate

2011 - My second year of blogging in Brittany

I felt I would like to share some of the photographs I have taken so far this year and some from other years. I live in a beautiful part of Brittany and just love being here. It's a lovely place to photograph and enjoy being in through all the seasons and hopefully this blog will show you where I live my life.



Friday, May 2, 2014

Flowers and Landscape


Everything is growing like mad in the polytunnel and I can't wait for the three last frost days to come and go so that I can plant everything outside.  In France, there are three Ice Saints, St Mamert, St Pancrace and St Servais whose days are celebrated each year on the 11, 12 and 13 May.  Each saint protects the crops on their particular day from frost and these three days are thought to be the last few days when frost is still possible.
 
I spent part of this morning finishing off planting up the blue ceramic pots which I use each year on the terrace and on the drive by the entrance door. 
 
 
In another couple of weeks they will have filled out nicely with the heat in the polytunnel and regular watering and I'll drive them down to the garden.  I've also been planting and stringing up tomato plants in the tunnel.  It's getting quite busy in there now.
 
Each time I walk round to Rainbow Cottages in the garden I pass the wisteria on the wall of the utility house.  The blooms are beautiful and the scent, absolutely delicious.
 














The pergola is covered in Clematis montana at the moment, with wisteria and a passion flower in bud.


 
This lilac is across the lane in my neighbour's boundary hedge
 
 









and the iris is in the garden of my neighbours on the corner by the calvaire.  Every year they have a wonderful display of flags and this is one of the first.

 
 
I had lunch today with a friend of my son, Matthew, who was in the area for a few days.
 
 
We went to the Auberge de Guerledan at Caurel.  As usual the meal was lovely and the service friendly.  It's very popular there and booking is definitely needed.  I'd been home about an hour when the owner 'phoned to tell me I'd managed to leave my wallet on the floor by our table.  Luckily, my special friend is passing near tomorrow and will pick it up for me.
 
On the way home I had to stop and take a photo of this view which hardly looked like a landscape.
 
 
 
The wider view showed it like this

 
I love the look of oil seed rape, the bright yellow fields looking even more stunning when the skies are dull with rain.  The stripy field is formed by the sowing of maize under polythene which biodegrades as the corn grows through it.
 
In the lane we now have bluebells in bloom and
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
red campion too.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Here, Ruby, Boris and Bert are tucking into their carrot supper yesterday evening. 
 
 
Three things I like:

1.   Seeing all the bright green clothing the lanes now that Spring is in full swing.
2.   Knowing someone cares for me.
3.   Collecting more eggs each day as the daylight hours lengthen.

16 comments:

  1. You might enjoy reading my post on the Farmer's Almanac , along with your saints for planting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had a look at your post - very interesting. I know that a lot of people plant by the moon phases here in Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You make me homesick for Brittany !! won't be back over for a while - love reading your blog !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sandra can no longer post on this blog. She has started a new blog on http://livingoutmydaysin22.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Brittany
    My name is Joe Pinzone and I'm casting an international travel show about expats moving abroad. We'd love to film in France and wanted to know if you could help us find expats who have moved there within the last 15 months or have been there for 3-4 years, but recently moved into a new home. The show documents their move to a new country and will place the country in fabulous light. The contributors on the show would also receive monetary compensation if they are filmed. If you'd like more information, please give me a call at 212-231-7716 or skype me at joefromnyc. You can also email me at joepinzone@leopardusa.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    Joe Pinzone
    Casting Producer
    P: 212-231-7716
    Skype: Joefromnyc

    ReplyDelete
  6. الوادى الملكى
    شركة تنظيف ابوظبى
    ، فتمتلك العديد من المقومات الرائعة التي تميزها عن غيرها من الشركات، حيث أن التنظيف يعتبر من الأمور الشاقة للغاية للمرأة خاصة إذا كانت المرأة تعمل فيكون ليس لديها وقت فارغ لتتم عملية التنظيف، حيث أن
    شركة تنظيف فى ابوظبى
    تمتلك عمالة مدربة على مستوى عالي من الجودة ولديهم خبرة تتعدي الخمس سنوات في مجال التنظيف، فالمرأة تكتشف البقع من بقايا المشروبات والطعام فلابد على أي مرأة أكتشافها لهذه البقع أن تقوم بالأتصال على الفور على
    شركة تنظيف مسابح ابوظبى
    ، حتى تعمل
    شركات تنظيف المنازل ابوظبى
    على تنظيف جميع الغرف والمطابخ والحمامات التي توجد في البيوت.

    ReplyDelete