Muscovy Duck

Muscovy Duck
Roosting on the gate

2011 - My second year of blogging in Brittany

I felt I would like to share some of the photographs I have taken so far this year and some from other years. I live in a beautiful part of Brittany and just love being here. It's a lovely place to photograph and enjoy being in through all the seasons and hopefully this blog will show you where I live my life.

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Daisy and Harry

I’m not sure how I managed to go shopping this morning, but I went early, on the way back from feeding the hens, ducks and goats, with swollen eyes and a nose which was red from crying.
Since I have had my new cat, Harry, the girls, Purrdy and Daisy haven't been happy at all and have spent a good deal of time away from the house.  However, by yesterday I hadn’t seen Daisy since Tuesday last week.  Daisy was one of the two beautiful kittens I had from a friend on an expat forum here.  Maisie on the left and Daisy on the right.
Yesterday evening I could hear a cat weakly miaowing behind the sink area in the utility area.   Andy came round and pulled out the washing machine which he had been working on the day before, replacing bearings.  Daisy was in the corner of the room unable to get up.  I crawled in and carefully got her out.  She had a large wound on her lower back, infected, oozing and very, very smelly.  She had breathing problems and couldn't walk – she was very, very weak.  I think she may not have been able to see.  She was incredibly thin – it doesn’t seem possible that in ten days she could be so emaciated.
I called the Veterinary Surgery at Corlay at 9.20pm and amazingly someone was there, he’d just popped in to fetch something.  I explained that Daisy was very ill and needed to be on a drip straightaway.  He asked me to go in.  He examined Daisy and said she might have been poisoned and that she was haemorraging, but wasn’t sure.  Her temperature was only 34°C.   He thought it was worth trying to save her.  She had a chest xray as he thought she might have a herniated diaphragm – she didn’t.  He was going to clean up her wound, put her on antibiotics and a drip and asked me to 'phone this morning to find out if she made it through the night and if so, if she was any better.  I said that obviously I wanted her to survive, but that if she was suffering too much I would prefer it if they put her down.  It’s always such a difficult thing to say.
I 'phoned this morning at 8.30am.  Daisy didn't make it through the night.
I then 'phoned B and J, who gave me Harry after their original cats couldn't live with him.  He is a lovely cat and very loving, but wants to be the only cat in the house. 
I couldn't have Purrdy so distressed with him here and so B and J picked up Harry mid morning to try to rehome him. 
I am devastated - two cats gone in one day and so soon after losing Alfie too.


  1. Oh poor you my thoughts are with you. Losing one pet is bad enough but 2 at the same time is devastating. Take care .... Kay xx