Muscovy Duck

Muscovy Duck
Roosting on the gate

2011 - My second year of blogging in Brittany

I felt I would like to share some of the photographs I have taken so far this year and some from other years. I live in a beautiful part of Brittany and just love being here. It's a lovely place to photograph and enjoy being in through all the seasons and hopefully this blog will show you where I live my life.



Sunday, January 1, 2012

The Village on New Year's Day

Libby, Matthew and Gareth spoke to me on the 'phone at just after their midnight - one o'clock in the morning here - of 1 January 2012, to wish me a Happy New Year.  They all sounded as if they were having a great party so a good start to the New Year.  It was a mild night and I turned off the storage heater in my room which I had put on in the third week of December.  During the day it had been 12°C on the SuperU display.

I weighed, although my usual day for weighing is Tuesday, because I wanted to know what I would begin the year at.  I was 105kg/231.5lbs/16stone7½lbs, which means I have lost 38.1kg/84lbs/6 stone since my mini gastric bypass on 18 July, in nearly 24 weeks.  I am a very happy bunny!

Woke up to a grey and drizzly day.  I walked up the lane, next three photos, to the field to do the animals - without a fleece just in a short sleeved t-shirt and carrying my camera, accompanied by Bobby, one of my neighbour's dogs. 














 I fed and waterered the hens, ducks and goats.  The bags of bread I bought just after Christmas are still very fresh - some of the price tags carry a date of 30 December.   They all enjoy the spongy inside of the loaves and the outside crusts with a bit of bread attached go into a galvanised container filled with water to soften it up.   Then I walked on up to the corner of my field and up the lane to my neighbour's abandoned orchard.  There were apples all over the ground and on the roof of a shed too.










After that I walked back, stopping to take more photographs.   Here is my own field and the field I rent from my neighbour and then different bits and pieces on the verges next to my field.



The gorse is such a wonderfully bright yellow lifting the grey day.


And finally back home again, the buildings on the left, to be greeted by Bobby again.


I don't often buy pre-packaged convenience food, but when I was shopping yesterday there were frozen prawn two-bite party bits and I succumbed.   These are eleven of the twenty-one delicious morsels.

They were really lovely, just popped into a very hot oven with no extra oil, and made a super New Year's Eve supper with their piquant sweet and sour chilli dip.  I wish supermarkets did these little nibbles all year round, as they are a good quick and tasty snack.  I have another two boxes in my freezer - just in case!

The rain set in properly for the rest of the day and underfoot it is extremely soggy, but still mild.

Three things I like:

1.   This afternoon's snooze in front of the woodburner.
2.   Seeing my daughter admitting to her relationship with Gareth on Facebook.
3.   Reading through old magazines so I can pass them on.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the photos of the English Countryside. I do yearn to return, not as a tourist; however, as a visitor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not England, Ann, it's Brittany,France, but so similar to Cornwall in south west England that you'd be hard pushed to tell them apart. You'd be very welcome if you ever want a holiday. Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete