Muscovy Duck

Muscovy Duck
Roosting on the gate

2011 - My second year of blogging in Brittany

I felt I would like to share some of the photographs I have taken so far this year and some from other years. I live in a beautiful part of Brittany and just love being here. It's a lovely place to photograph and enjoy being in through all the seasons and hopefully this blog will show you where I live my life.



Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday, 31 January 2010 - Collecting the geese

Yesterday afternoon we went to collect three geese from a friend who was gradually getting rid of her animals as she is moving to a smaller house.

The oldest female had, for some unbelievable reason, a Jubiliee clip around one leg. We unscrewed it as soon as we got her home, and while we did so she bit my lip - not a very grateful gesture. I have named her Gloria. The two youngsters have not yet been sexed, so naming is difficult, but I have gone for Grace for the greyish one and Gerry - a useful unisex name - for the white one.

I put them into their new house, leaving the door open. It is in the small section of field which is next to the barn, and the chickens often wander around in here, so I hope they soon learn to tolerate one another!

When I went up to put the hens to bed, the geese were in the hen end of the barn, so I put some extra water and food in there and, ignoring all the hissing, closed them up for the night in the barn.

This morning, once the poultry door to the barn was opened, the three geese went out to their field and by the time the goats and hens had been fed, they were sitting together on the freezing ground, making themselves quite at home.

During the day they must have flown over to my next field, and had to be herded back to the barn for bedtime. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sandra - hope you didn't mind me sorting out your dates for you - all in the right order now... you'll find if you want to add more gadgets to the left hand column if you go to the Layout page - add an extra one to the top section and then drag it into position on the left and it will re-size! Magic!

    Keep going with the blog - looking good! Look forward to some pics of the geese!
    Miranda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Miranda - you are my blogspot angel! Thanks so much for putting my posts in date order.

    Most of the snow here has melted now, but it's breaking-bone slippery out there this evening. I promise to post some photos of the geese and the hens I'm collecting tomorrow, later in the week.

    ReplyDelete